Springer is the archetypical action hero: great in a fight, unselfconsciously brave, confident, and always ready with a dead-pan sarcastic quip to lighten the moment. He’s someone you can depend on to ride in, save the day and be smug about it. Although his easy self-confidence is one of his most notable features, actually being responsible for others weighs heavily upon his otherwise jocular personality. Nonetheless, Springer has been promoted to commander, and does the best he can to keep morale high and set a good example. Springer combines the thrusting power of his legs with his retro thrusters to move rapidly through the battlefield, leaping tall structures in a single bound. He carries a laser that produces giant wind tunnels, and a light saber that can cut through concrete. He is both optimistic and good humored, but can sometimes overestimate his own abilities.
Before the rule of Zeta Prime, Springer was an athlete, enjoying some minor fame and success in areas such as gymnastics, fencing, and martial arts. Following the death of Sentinel Prime, when Zeta rose to the rank of Prime and together with Pax reformed Sentinel's security forces into the new Autobot faction, Springer signed up, impressed with the new Prime and buying the hype that the new Autobots were a force to keep Cybertron safe.
As a member of the Triorian Guard and Ultra Magnus's security force, Springer didn’t have a lot of direct contact with Pax – Pax was more like his boss’s boss, and seemed like a cool guy, but wasn’t anyone Springer had a strong opinion about at first. However, once they learned that Zeta was draining civilians of their energon, Springer was impressed that Orion Pax had the ball bearings to stand up against Zeta, and Springer was happy to help Pax and the Decepticons overthrow Zeta Prime.
When the Decepticons then betrayed the Autobots and imprisoned them, Springer managed to get his hands on a gun, break out together with his cellmates, and join some other escapees in the search for Orion Pax. Springer was happy to get involved as part of the action, not wanting to miss the party. Once they found Pax, Springer was shocked to learn that Pax had acquired the Matrix of Leadership and become Optimus Prime.
Springer recovered from his shock quickly, however, and signed himself right up for the new Prime’s regime, once again believing THIS time THIS Prime was going to make Cybertron great again. Especially after the damage Zeta Prime did to the Autobots’ image, Springer is determined to both do a good job keeping Cybertron safe, AND to set a good example to show the world the Autobots are the good guys after all.
Skills & Abilities[edit source]
- Springing Ability: Springer can leap high into the air, well above anyone else on the battlefield. While I don’t actually see him pogoing across the battleground (that seems ridiculous), I do feel that the ability to leap high in the air, combined with his skill with a sword, can lead to some dramatic anime-style fighting flourishes. He incorporates his leaping ability into his fighting style in a way that makes him distinct from other fighters in the arena of war.
- Swordfighting: Springer’s rotors form into a “light sabre” (according to his original filecard), and Springer fights like a Jedi. He’s skilled, he’s fast, and he leaps around the battlefield, flashing his sabre and cutting down all that oppose him. He practices swordplay quite a bit, and takes pride in his skill. He’s also happy to instruct other Autobots in the art of swordplay – any excuse to show off.
- Triple-Changer: As a Triple-Changer Springer transforms very quickly, and uses all his modes to his full advantage in combat. Springer is a fluid, mobile fighter in the field, constantly switching modes when it will give him an advantage – leaping into the air with his springing ability, transforming into a chopper to maneuver into position, and then transforming into rocket-car mode to smash through the opposition.
- Wind tunnels: According to his original filecard, Springer carries a laser that produces giant wind tunnels. It’s an ability he doesn’t use often, due to the chance of collateral damage. However, it might be useful if, say, he finds himself in a hallway facing numerous foes that need to be handled all at once. It can also be useful in fighting airborne foes, which includes the majority of the Decepticons.
- Lack of foresight: When it’s just Springer, he tends to think with his fists, leaping into battle without a second thought as to what other options, like diplomacy or stealth, might be better for the particular situation. While he’s a smart guy, he doesn’t always think ahead, preferring to be a mech of action and priding himself on acting quickly in any situation. However, “quickly” doesn’t always equal “smartly” and sometimes the fast decision isn’t the best one.
- Leadership qualms: Paradoxically, when entrusted with the lives of others, Springer can become overly circumspect and hesitate to endanger the lives of those under his command. He’ll always assign himself the job of door-kicker and assault lead, but he might hesitate to send others to die, even when the sacrifice might be necessary for the greater good. This hesitation may also lead him to assign himself to the most dangerous task even if someone else might be better qualified.
- Overconfidence: Springer has a lot of self-confidence in his abilities – as long as it’s just his aft on the line. If he can act as a robot shield to protect others in danger, and look good doing it, all the better. As long as it’s only himself on the line, Springer feels he can take on anything, and won’t hesitate to throw himself into battle – or even any other situation, physical or social – without taking a reasonable assessment of his chances of success.
Logs[edit | edit source]
|Target Practice Challenge Level Alpha!||December 30th, 2019||Autobots try to shoot Blurr in the simulators.|
|Quest for the Shapeshifter: Finale||December 23rd, 2019||Mimic led the way to Penance's super secret underwater bunker, where 'Bots and 'Cons sought to destroy the primary pylon and stop the mass mind wipe.|
|The Private Sort||November 19th, 2019||Springer and Juris visit Maccadam's, and manage to extract a bit of intel about Mimic from Blast Off and Buzzsaw.|
|A Wound and A Deal||October 31st, 2019||Springer comes in with a head wounds and Pug asks Starlock a favour.|
|Maybe His Ego Ruptured||October 16th, 2019||Starlock makes Blurr throw up.|
|Physical Exam: Triple Take||October 7th, 2019||Springer, Roadbuster, and Swivel come in for their Physicals, and an interesting conversation with Healthpoint as they try to help her in finding her own path.|
|Romance in the Repair Bay||September 30th, 2019||Healthpoint repairs those injured during the Rodion siege, Hot Rod doesn't know how to ask someone out on a date properly, and Starlock and First Aid get a moment.|
|Battleground: Rodion 5 - 1||September 29th, 2019||The Autobots successfully take back Rodion despite the odds!|
|Springs and Stars||September 10th, 2019||Springer chats with Starlock, after waking up from his nap, and Juris gets that inventory done.|
|Battleground: Ibex - Central 4 - 6||September 9th, 2019||Overlord, Starscream, and Megatron Show up to take Ibex Central.|
|Ugly Flirting||September 9th, 2019||Springer and Roadbuster get themselves and those rescued from Ibex Central to the repair bay for repairs.|
|Springing into Action||August 29th, 2019||Springer trains with Starlock, Roadbuster and First Aid are subjected to bad puns.|
|Clemency: Planetfall||November 6th, 2018||Autobots defend an orbital storage facility in Clemency orbit against Decepticons.|
|7 Days To Drone: Horde Night Is Here||November 1st, 2018||The drone hordes gather for an assault on Iacon. The valiant Autobots stand against them.|
|Hyperdrive's Graduation||October 13th, 2018||Hyperdrive graduates and gives a speech! So does Optimus! And Hot Rod tries to as well, but fails epicly.|
|Troublets||July 8th, 2018||Springer does his darndest to rally Swivel's spirits.|
|The Forced Flood||June 1st, 2018||Autobots and Decepticons disagree on how to save the world.|
|Plateau Evac||May 26th, 2018||The Autobots are trying to save a town near the Sonic Canyons. Blast Off helps them...but if anyone asks, he was shooting at Springer.|
|A Whole New World||March 12th, 2018||Autobots and Decepticons assemble Coldrun's portal.|
|Good Friends||December 26th, 2017||Hyperdrive deals with a drunk Swivel. This is somehow Springer's fault.|
|Decepticons Are Cheaters||November 21st, 2017||Phantom cheats at a drinking contest with Warpath.|
|High Speed Heist||October 18th, 2017||Decepticons attempt a train heist near Tagan Heights, but leave empty-handed.|
|Aftermath Therapy||September 16th, 2017||After the failure at Helex, the Autobots really need to get some feelings off of their chests.|
|The Fall of Helex||September 9th, 2017||The Autobots make their final stand in Helex--and lose.|
|Beer Pong||July 31st, 2017||Half-off drinks for Autobots draws a crowd. Engex pong is a short reprieve from heated topics.|
|True Bravery Requires Fear||July 11th, 2017||Springer counsels Swivel, the ever insecure cadet. Swivel nicknames him Brave Sir Punchy.|
|A Time for Feedback||May 1st, 2017||Springer follows up with Swivel regarding footage from the Circle of Light's launch.|
|The Apt Student||March 30th, 2017||Springer begins Swivel's self-defense training.|
|Shakedown||March 13th, 2017||Springer tries to shakedown Swindle for information. Then Brawl happens.|
|Tailing Challenge||February 25th, 2017||Springer and Fade practice their stealth skills in the simulator.|
|Walking in Rodion||December 29th, 2016||Arcee and Springer walk the canals of Rodion, discussing what should be done in Tarn.|
|Thrust goes home||October 30th, 2016||The Decepticons stage a daring raid on a jail in Tarn.|
|Fun With Glue||October 16th, 2016||Ignoring Vortex results in him going on a glue-gun rampage.|
|Decagon Briefing||October 15th, 2016||The Autobots discuss what to do about Tarn.|
|Nice Warm Acid Bath||August 18th, 2016||Decepticons rob an armory in Tarn.|
|Favorite Deltaran Patients||August 17th, 2016||Interesting conversations at Deltaran Hospital.|
|Action List||June 22nd, 2016||Prowl gives Springer a list of tasks to accomplish for the good of the Autobots.|
|Hero of Nyon||April 29th, 2016||Springer and Arcee discuss a number of things, including Hot Rod and new intel about the Vosian Flight Academy.|
|Victims of Toraxxis||April 20th, 2016||Blurr and Springer wrap up the search for survivors of the destruction of Toraxxis.|
|The Fall of Toraxxis||April 12th, 2016||Autobots and Decepticons battle over the Toraxxis Mega-Refinery.|
|De-escalation||April 4th, 2016||A series of volatile situations arise in Macadams. Most of them are defused peacefully.|
|Recall Revelation||March 27th, 2016||Swivel needs to find her place in the world once more. Blurr discovers a shocking revelation about an old friend's former identity. Springer feels awkward.|
|Fuel Talk||March 25th, 2016||Arcee, Springer and Prowl discuss the general state of things.|
|Quiet Removal||March 3rd, 2016||The Autobots discuss Quickswitch and the Sonic Canyons mine.|
|Mine Reconnaissance||February 21st, 2016||The Autobots head to reconnaissance the mine area, and encounter more than a few surprises! Also, Decepticons.|
|The Right Mechs For the Job||February 17th, 2016||While trying to recruit some experienced energon miners for the daunting task of rigging a very dangerously-located well, Arcee comes across Springer, and the two of them discuss how best to go about this task without raising too much suspicion across the polities.|
|Arcee's New Flame||February 12th, 2016||Arcee meets Springer for the first time.|
|Triorian Brothers||February 10th, 2016||Two former Triorian Guardsmechs meet for the first time since each chose sides in the war.|